Why Does My Child's Nearsightedness Need to Be Managed?
Myopia significantly increases the risk of developing sight-threatening eye diseases later in life, such as cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment and macular degeneration. The higher your child’s myopia, the greater the risk.
Although eyeglasses and standard contact lenses can correct a person’s vision, they do not treat the underlying cause of myopia or slow its progression. This is where myopia management comes in.
If you’re concerned about your child’s long-term eye health and vision, contact The Myopia Management Center At Family Eyecare Center of Optometry today. We can help.
What is Myopia Management?
Myopia management is an area of eye care that uses various tools and treatments to prevent or slow your child's myopia progression. Depending upon your child's specific needs, our doctors will be able to prescribe management options that can help your child maintain better vision for longer.
We specialize in myopia treatment to slow progression of nearsightedness using any of the following methods:
Myopia Management FAQ
- What is myopia?
- Is myopia or nearsightedness increasing?
- What is myopia management?
- Can myopia treatments reduce the progression of myopia?
- Myopia is a refractive error commonly known as nearsightedness where a person cannot see clearly at a distance. Nearsighted people often see better at near than at far.
- Myopia or nearsightedness is increasing worldwide with more than one million new cases every week. The current two and one half billion cases of myopia is expected to double to five billion by the year 2050.
- Myopia management treatment uses specific types of glasses, contact lenses and eye drops to slow down the progression of myopia.
- In many cases, myopia management has been scientifically shown to reduce the progression of myopia or nearsightedness.
What Parents Are Saying About Myopia Management
Myopia increases the risk of serious eye diseases
How Do I Know If My Child Needs Myopia Management?
If you are concerned about your child’s myopia, call Family Eyecare Center of Optometry today. Our team of eye care professionals will help you understand more about your child's nearsightedness and will determine whether your child is a candidate for myopia management.
Take our myopia assessment online to find out whether your child could benefit from this life-changing treatment.