Have you taken advantage of your vision benefits for the year?
Many plans run on a calendar year basis and the benefits for 2021 are running out soon.
This also means there are only so many weeks left in the year to spend your Flex Spending Account dollars before they are lost.
How Flex Spending Accounts Work
Flex spending accounts are advantageous for a few reasons. First, you never pay taxes on the money that goes into your FSA. Second, flex spending dollars help pay for medically necessary costs that are not covered by your insurance.
The caveat, though, is you must "use it or lose it".
If you have unused vision benefits, unused flex spending dollars, or both…
Don't Let Your Hard-Earned $$$ Go To Waste!
Here are 9 great ways you can take advantage of your vision benefits and use your FSA dollars to make sure you are seeing clearly in the new year:
- Schedule Your Comprehensive Eye Exam: Most vision insurances cover your eye exam. You only take care of the copay. Your FSA will cover this and additional testing we may use to check your eye health. The busy holiday season is here, so don’t wait to schedule your eye exam!
- Get A Year Supply of Contact Lenses: Have you ever had the frustration of realizing you're out of contact lenses? Save the hassle (and time and money) by buying your contacts in bulk. Many contact lens companies offer great rebates for buying a year supply, so ask us what rebates are available for you.
- Invest in Prescription Sunglasses: The sun's UV rays can lead to cataracts, macular degeneration, and cancer. It is important to wear sunglasses year-round, even in the winter and on cloudy days.
- Get a 2nd Pair of Prescription Glasses: Have a back-up pair to keep at work or in case you lose them. Choose from our designer frames and treat yourself!
- Increase Comfort With Computer Glasses: There has never been a better time to protect your eyes from all this screen time. Digital eye strain can lead to headaches, dry and achy eyes, redness, and blurred vision. Even if you don't regularly wear prescription glasses, computer glasses with bluelight blockers can help you work more effectively and more comfortably.
- Children's Eyecare: With the amount of time kids spend in front of screens and outdoors, many will benefit from having computer glasses or sunglasses. If your child has not had an eye exam recently, now is a great time to schedule in order to see how his or her vision is doing.
- LASIK Eye Surgery: Several of my patients who've had LASIK say it is one of the best things they've ever done for themselves. If you've been thinking about getting LASIK, now is a good time to see if you are an ideal candidate and plan ahead.
- Sports and Safety Glasses: Protect your eyes while at work or at play. Prevent eye injuries and increase your performance with special sport or safety glasses.
- Eye Vitamins: If you have a family history of macular degeneration, EyePromise Restore can support your vision. If you have problems with dry eyes, EyePromise EZ Tears helps your eyes naturally produce more tears.
There you have it: 9 Ways To Make The Most Of Your Vision Insurance & Flex Spending Dollars Before It’s Too Late.
We can’t wait to see you in our office soon.
Dr. Harold Ashcraft
P.S. Our schedule is filling fast! Don’t forget to schedule today at (310) 670-4411.